top of page

The deadline for MKE United's anti-displacement fund applications is Jan. 8. Here's what you need to

In November, 2019, MKE United created the MKE United Anti-Displacement Fund, which offers financial assistance to homeowners who have seen a significant increase in their property taxes and pays the difference between the original rate and the hike in property taxes.

MKE United is a coalition of Milwaukee organizations that includes the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, Greater Milwaukee Committee and Bader Philanthropies.

The program focuses on preventing the displacement of residents from the Harambee, Halyard Park, Brewers Hill and Walker's Point neighborhoods due to increased property assessments and taxes prompted by nearby development downtown.

Eligibility requirements include:

  • Owning a home since at least Jan. 1, 2015 (or inheriting it from a family member)

  • Being current on real estate tax payments

  • Meeting income thresholds

  • Living in specific areas Halyard Park, Brewers Hill, Harambee and Walker's Point. Those areas are highlighted on a map that is part of the application.

Last year, the fund approved grants for 86 homeowners who experienced spikes in their 2019 taxes compared with their 2018 taxes. Payments averaged $435 and a little over half, 56%, of those homeowners were 62 years old or older.

The fund is one of the only sources of property owner relief from rising property taxes, due to state rules that prevent the city from offering tax relief, freezes or other financial assistance.

A spokesperson for the fund said organizers hope it can run beyond its original five-year lifespan.

Application info

You can print out an application at and mail it to Riverworks Development Corp., 526 E. Concordia Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53212, with the words "ATTN Coretta Herring" on the envelope.

You can also fill out this webform.

Drop off forms at:

  • Riverworks Development Corp., 526 E. Concordia Ave. between 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the words "ATTN Coretta Herring" on the envelope.

  • United Community Center, 1028 S. 9th St., 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the words "ATTN Fernando Campos" on the envelope.

Include a copy of your 2019 tax returns and/or all source of income documents as well as a copy of your driver's license, ID card or a utility bill.

For more information about the displacement fund, visit or call (414) 882-7420.


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page